Credentialing (CASAC, CASAC-T, CPP, CPS)

woman typing

Updated Credentialing Regulations

Updates to Part 853: Credentialing of Addictions Professionals go into effect soon. Join us on 9/26 to discuss the highlights.
Credentialing (CASAC, CASAC-T, CPP, CPS)
Addiction Service Workforce
Credentialed Professionals

OASAS oversees the credentialing of all professional substance use counselors and prevention practitioners in New York. To receive a professional credential, individuals meet specific eligibility requirements and pass appropriate examinations. This ensure the addiction services workforce are competent, ethical, and skilled in meeting the needs of today's society.

  • Credentialed Alcoholism and Substance Abuse Counselor (CASAC)
  • Credentialed Prevention Professional (CPP)
  • Credentialed Prevention Specialist (CPS)
  • Credentialed Problem Gambling Counselor (CPGC) also known as the Gambling Specialty Designation for CASAC, CPP, and CPS.

Verify a Professional Credential

Credentialing Verification

Check the status of an addiction service professional's credential (CASAC, CASAC T, CPP/CPS and CPGC). If you are a credentialed professional, verify your information is still up-to-date and notify OASAS of any necessary updates.
Counselor listening to patient
Counselor Complaints
File a Complaint
In order to maintain a safe and healthy environment for individuals receiving services as well as program staff and visitors, programs are required to report incidents/allegations of abuse, neglect, and other significant incidents involving credentialing applicants and Individuals.
Designations and Certifications
Gambling Specialty Designation

OASAS offers a Gambling Specialty Designation to credentialed individuals (CASAC, CPP/CPS), in good standing who meet the minimum requirements for the designation.

Certified Recovery Peer Advocate (CPRA)

The NY Certification Board oversees the certification and training of Certified Recovery Peer Advocates (CPRAs) who provide non-clinical support to individuals in treatment/recovery. 

Credentialing Call Center
Contact us to have initial application materials mailed to you. You may also request an inactivation application or inquire about late renewals and reactivation. If you've recently moved, be sure to notify us of your new address, as renewal applications will be automatically sent the address on-file, 120 days prior to the expiration date on your credential.
OASAS offers reciprocity for some credentialed individuals moving into or out of New York State.