New Program Certifications and Changes to Existing Programs
Any existing or prospective provider of substance use disorder services is required to obtain the prior approval of the commissioner of the New York State Office of Addiction Services and Supports (OASAS) before establishing, incorporating and/or constructing a facility or offering a service. It is the applicant’s responsibility to review all applicable operating regulations to ensure the proposed action(s) is in accord with regulatory standards and to receive approval by the appropriate local governmental unit. After an operating certificate is issued, any changes or additions of services require notice and approve from OASAS.
Arrange for a discussion of the conceptual basis of your proposal with both the OASAS Regional Office (RO) and Local Governmental Unit (LGU) in the jurisdiction where services are being proposed. Both parties will render a recommendation on the applicant’s proposal.
Sign-off from both parties is required for most prospective/existing providers to complete the Prior Consultation Form, The only applications that do not require the form are minor relocations, capital projects; adding a Supportive Living Site, and changes to prevention sites.
Once you receive a recommendation to move forward, submit signed copies of the completed application to OASAS via NYSE-CON, the OASAS Regional Office, and LGU in the jurisdiction of the proposed program.
Applicants are required to submit applications through the NYSE-CON system using an Health Commerce System (HCS) or NY.gov account. Review the application instructions, choose the forms required for each component of your proposal and submit your application through the NYSE-CON system.
- If you are a certified provider with an HCS account, your HCS coordinator needs to give you the role of CON Submitter and/or CON Updater based on your needs. If you do not yet have an account, reach out to your Agency’s HCS coordinator. View Instructions.
- If you are not yet an OASAS-certified provider, you can access the NYSE-CON system, using a my.ny.gov account. View Instructions.
- Instructions for a New Provider to submit an application through the Public Authenticated NYSE-CON
- Instructions for changes in ownership/operator of an existing facility:
- Instructions for other changes to existing facility, including Capacity Increase, Capital Project, Changes to Prevention, Add/Remove Apartments, Minor Relocation, New Treatment Service, Additional Location, Relocation, Space Expansion
- Instructions for resuming data entry:
Schedules and/or forms required at the time of application vary based on the proposed action and are detailed below. It is the applicant’s responsibility to review any applicable New York State regulations to ensure that the proposed actions are in compliance with New York State regulatory standards.
Once an operating certificate has been issued, new providers may wish to apply for enrollment in the Medicaid program to bill Medicaid for covered treatment services.
Our Criminal Background Check Unit will issue an e-mail to the Executive Director instructing them on the process for conducting criminal background checks on prospective hires, volunteers and interns.
We will conduct multiple site visits and one re-certification review per year to ensure programs are in compliance with NYS regulations and standards and operate within the scope of their certification.