New York State's approach to addiction treatment is person-centered and completely individualized. Rather than simply treating the disease of addiction, certified programs treat the individual living with addiction and offer support to their loved ones. OASAS recognizes there is no treatment plan that's right for everyone. We certify addiction treatment programs at various levels of care, from outpatient counseling services to residential or bedded care for those who need it. Programs and counselors work with you to identify the best course of treatment to fit your life and recovery goals.
OASAS directly operates 12 Addiction Treatment Centers and oversees over 1,600 addiction treatment programs. Expanded regional programming including Centers of Treatment Innovation (COTIs), Open Access Centers and Regional Addiction Resource Centers, help us meet New Yorkers wherever they may be in their recovery journey.
A conversation led by a professional counselor with the individual and/or their loves ones, to help determine if a substance use disorder is present or there is a high risk of developing a substance use disorder. Assessments help us identify which options are best for that individual.
Counselors employed in OASAS-certified outpatient program can complete an assessment, talk through your options, and make recommendation for the appropriate course of treatment. If you think you might have a problem but you're not sure, talk to your doctor.
To find an outpatient program near you, search the addiction program look-up by program type > outpatient services and schedule an appointment. You can also call the HOPEline at 1-877-8-HOPENY, Operators provide three referrals to assessment services in your area.
OASAS has established several innovative programs across the state to better meet the needs of New Yorkers. Locally-based services increase access to assessments, referrals, and treatment.
- Centers of Treatment Innovation (COTIs) operate mobile treatment and transportation units to bring clinical services to you.
- Open Access Centers provide immediate assessments and referrals to treatment at any time of the day or night.
- Problem Gambling Resource Centers (PGRCs) are regional hubs that educate communities and connect New Yorkers to services.
- Recovery Addiction Resource Centers (RARC) can provide information about addiction, treatment, and recovery, and make referrals.
- Peer Engagement Specialists and Family Support Navigators offer support, encouragement, and guidance to individuals/families throughout the treatment-recovery process.