New York State's approach to addiction treatment is person-centered and completely individualized. Rather than simply treating the disease of addiction, certified programs treat the individual living with addiction and offer support to their loved ones. OASAS recognizes there is no treatment plan that's right for everyone. Specialty services for specific populations including youth and young adults, justice-involved individuals, the LGBTQ+ community exist to try to meet the needs of these New Yorkers.
We certify addiction treatment programs at various levels of care, from outpatient counseling services to residential or bedded care for those who need it. Programs and counselors work with you to identify the best course of treatment to fit your life and recovery goals. We also directly operate 12 Addiction Treatment Centers and oversee over 1,600 addiction treatment programs. Expanded regional programming including Centers of Treatment Innovation (COTIs), Open Access Centers and Regional Addiction Resource Centers, help us meet New Yorkers wherever they may be in their recovery journey.
A conversation led by a professional counselor with the individual and/or their loves ones, to help determine if a substance use disorder is present or there is a high risk of developing a substance use disorder. Assessments help us identify which options are best for that individual.
Counselors employed in OASAS-certified outpatient program can complete an assessment, talk through your options, and make recommendation for the appropriate course of treatment. If you think you might have a problem but you're not sure, talk to your doctor.
To find an outpatient program near you, search the addiction program look-up by program type > outpatient services and schedule an appointment. You can also call the HOPEline at 1-877-8-HOPENY, Operators provide three referrals to assessment services in your area.
We have established several innovative programs and services across the state to better meet the needs of New Yorkers. These programs increase access to assessments, referrals, and treatment. Services include the creation/expansion of:
- Peer Engagement Specialists and Family Support Navigators help individuals and families understand addiction and navigate treatment and insurance systems.
- Open Access Centers and Centers of Treatment Innovation increase access to assessments, referrals, and familial support.
- Problem Gambling Resource Centers provide education and information to communities and connect NYers to prevention and treatment services.
- Recovery Addiction Resource Centers are regional hubs that connect NYers to appropriate services and work to increase community education and raise awareness about addiction.
- Recovery Centers offer non-clinical recovery supports in the form of emotional, informational, instrumental (concrete) support and positive affiliation.
- Youth Clubhouses provide non-clinical, drug-free environments for recreation and skill-building.